Tuesday Night cycles

Tuesday Night cycles

Postby Helly » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:17 am

We had our 1st Tuesday night cycle last night with a great turnout. Commitments made when the sun was shining were kept as 9 people turned up in the rain for the cycle. 7 of us met at the Crystal sports centre at 6.30pm (Myself, Olive O'Brien, Michael Carroll, Helen Doody, Deirdre Cronin, Mark Williamson and Davy Moran) and we cycled out past the Top Garage on Cork rd where we met Karen Power and Marie Claire Power who had cycled in from Tramore to meet us.
We did the familiar Orchardstown loop but Mark and Davy were under a bit of pressure for time so they cycled for about 25mins and then turned back to Waterford.
The rest of us carried on towards Tramore, re-grouping at the top of Orchardstown hill. Olive's regular trips to Tramore for ice-cream paid off as she and Helen Doody flew up the hill. I don't mind admitting I was last up the hill but someone had to be last!
We left Karen and Marie Claire at the Monvoy roundabout as they headed home and the remaining 5 of us headed back to Waterford. The rain had pretty much stopped by then (or maybe we just got used to it..) but it was still very enjoyable.
Out of the 9 of us, 6 were new club members, some of whom had never cycled in a group before but were all well capable. It was great to be able to put a face to the names.

The battery was dead on my speedo, as was Olive's, probably a sign that our bikes have not been used too much lately so I'm not sure how far we cycled. I think that loop is about 17 miles.
Hopefully we'll get a few more next Tuesday. We'll be starting our Time Trials in a month or two so hopefully this will get us well fit by then :D
Helly

Re: Tuesday Night cycles

Postby jgtramore » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:57 pm

Sounds great. Count me in for next Tuesday.
I've never cycled in a group before so all tips and etiquette advice welcome.
jgtramore

Postby marklw16 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:20 pm

Anyone interested in going for a cycle at the earlier time of 6?
marklw16

Postby katedunphy » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:17 am

Hi,
Just wondering what time and from where is the cycle going from tonight? Also is there a planned route?

Cheers,
Kate
katedunphy

Postby ollie » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:46 pm

Hi, I'm assuming it is the same as last week. 6.30 at the crystal doing the Orchardstown loop!!
Helen can correct it if I'm wrong.

Olive
ollie

Postby katedunphy » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:07 pm

Sounds good but I might meet ye at Orchardstown and cycle from my house.

Cheers,
Katie
katedunphy

Postby Helly » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:00 pm

Another great turnout last night. The sunshine brought out the shorts and 14 clubmembers. 11 of us met at Crystal sports centre at 6.30pm (myself, Olive O'B., Michael Carroll, Helen Doody, Niamh Cooke, John Good, Neil Griffin, Noel Hayes, Deirdre Cronin, Maeve, Sandra, Rellis) and we picked up Karen Power and Marie Claire Power at the Top garage again as we cycled past and picked up Katie Dunphy at Orchardstown.
We did the same loop as last week (turned left at Orchardstown and into Tramore). By the time we hit Tramore we had 2 keel-overs upon stopping (John and Neil doing their initiations) as a result of new clippy shoes/pedals.
As it was such a nice evening we decided to cycle down around the prom in Tramore to add a few extra miles (it all counts!) A few of us who were up the front of the group were oblivious to the fact that one of the group (Deirdre Cronin) had fallen off her bike coming down the steep hill in Tramore. As we were wondering where half the group had gone, Neil cycle up to meet us to tell us.
She got some nasty cuts and scratches but no broken bones. Luckily she had not gotten around to purchasing the club gear yet as it would have been destroyed :) . She had gotten a speed wobble and could nothing to stop losing control of her bike. Her front wheel was loose afterwards so that may have been the problem. Michael Carroll cycled back into Waterford to get his car to give her a lift home as shock was beginning to set in (and her leg looked very sore!) Myslef and Olive told the rest of the group to cycle home and we waited with Deirdre.
As we were lounging on the grassy hillside, club member Paul Ogle drove by, thinking we were working on our sun tans. After I rang him to ask if he had a spare blanket to keep Deirdre warm he drove back to us and Deirdre sat into his car to wait for Michael to come back to collect her. (Paul did offer to drive her home but we could not contact Michael in time to let him know). I'd say Deirdre will be sore for a few days but nothing serious.
It was great to see a few more new faces last night. Now is the time to start getting out on the bike before we start our Time Trials in a few weeks. We also hope to start cycling on a Sunday morns at 9.30am from the Crystal for approx 1 1/2 - 2hrs in a week or 2. Will post here when we start.
Helly

Postby tombrown » Thu May 01, 2014 5:16 pm

hi All,
i hope Deirdre is OK and not put off by her unfortunate mishap and that she will get back cycling again very soon.
maybe just something for the club to think about for the future, there is quite a lot of new beginners starting off on there bikes and cycling in the groups.
how many could actually do a safety check on there bike before they go out cycling :?:
simple basics checks like,
are the tires inflated to the correct pressure?
nut & bolts on the bike (wheels, brakes etc) are they secure?
brakes working OK?
lights front & back working (if you are gong to be out in the dark)
gears working OK?
are the wheels running straight as you turn the wheel (there could be some loose spokes in the wheel that can cause the wheel to wobble especially when you are at speed)?
regular visit to the bike shop like altitude and some others in town every couple of months will help to reduce problems that you might not see.
After all we all know what kind of conditions are roads are in especially on the back roads, they are very hard on the bikes and a little bit of more care & attention is needed for the bike,

would it be possible for the club to arrange for some of the more experience cyclist to maybe have an safety & information some night, perhaps before a monthly meeting with there bike and just to run through some off the things that the lads would do before they go out on there bikes.
at least then everyone will have a lot more information on what to check on the bikes before they go out on the road.
hopefully please god we wont see any more off these accidents as poor Deirdre has had.

any one any thoughts on this :?:

tom
tombrown

Postby Neil » Thu May 01, 2014 6:27 pm

Not a bad idea....as I was only considering using my stabilisers next week to avoid the embarrassment of falling over. :) . Enjoyed Tuesdays cycle all the same. Looking forward to the next session.
Neil

Postby Slatts » Thu May 01, 2014 6:37 pm

Hi Lads

Shane is working to get an info evening together that would encompass cycling, running & nutrition. It might be a bit late in the year to do this as the season is kicking off soon and there's a good bit of organisation to go into an evening like that but I'm sure Shane will do his best

We're having another gear night next Thursday so if anyone has any questions that would be a good place to get them answered...
Slatts

Next

Return to Cycle