Saturday Morning Spin

Saturday Morning Spin

Postby emmk » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:45 am

First group cycle of the training year Saturday Morning Spin .
After the well attended EGM I was looking forward to hiding in a group cycle after not cycling further than 15km at a time for 6months. Gear on, water bottle check, out the door and down the road to the Maxol, Tramore for 9:00 where the Tramore members meet. Mike, Paul, Slatts and I headed in the road to our new meeting place at Waterford Crystal Sports Centre. Great weather for a cycle. Let it be known that Waterford Racing Club meet there at that time too, no bother as long as your new and don’t cycle out with the guys in black club gear. They cycle far and fast. We on the other hand are in red, white and black.
We met another member of the club Paul and waited 10min and some extra to make sure no one else was coming. The 5 members that were on the cycle were all seasoned cyclists from Ironman and SeanKelly 160km. We decided on a hilly route that took in a few hills around Portlaw and Carraick then home via the Cork road. Good to be back on the bike and having the chats. It was noted that Martin Kirwin was cycling up large hills in Big gears while in the Aero position on a Tribike. Martin is training for a face in a few weeks and ran pretty well in the Solas run the day after. All in all a good cycle looking forward to next week and the more the merrier. There is always a plan to cycle with any members or persons just starting that will be put in to action when you show up. So just remember Saturday mornings at the Waterford Crystal Centre (pool, gym, pitches on Cork road) at 09:30 sharp ish. I don’t have the distance or time due to my computer ran out of juice 30min in. Maybe someone can add it if the like.
emmk

Re: Saturday Morning Spin

Postby Slatts » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:22 pm

2nd Saturday spin of the winter training schedule this morning, Oggie, Emmet & Myself cycled in from Tramore and met Paul, Shane, Davin, TC, Louis, David & Brian at the crystal. We kept the pace civilised, talked plenty of triathlon shite and took in Kilmac and the coast road. The weather even looked after us - the heavens opened about half an hour after we got home. Think we did about 45 miles in 2.5 hours, not sure though as I didn't have my garmin on.

Keep an eye out here for next weeks route which Shane has promised to put up during the week (once Helen shows him how to turn on the laptop :shock: )
Slatts

Postby Aerohed » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:07 pm

Well, we had a great turnout today with 18 meeting at the Waterford Crystal for our Saturday Spin. It was a bit frosty earlier on but was nice and bright if a bit cold. No real wind.
Just as we were about to leave, Brian Slattery realised this back tyre was a bit shredded so had to ring his good wife (Una) to collect him (Too many miles on the turbo off season!)
So 17 of us (Tom Casey, Marc O'C, Gavin Q, Brian Sweeney (Honourary member) David Moran (new member), Noel Hayes, David McConnell, David Grace (still on the fence!), Davin Power, Paul Ogle, Emmet K, Mike Bowes, Paul McManus, John Wyse, Diarmuid Delahunty, Pio and myself) headed towards Carrick in one group. Tom, Marc, Gavin, Brian & David Moran turned around in Carrick and headed home (they did approx 32 miles) and the rest of us carried on to Kilmacthomas and back on to Cork road and towards home. Brian Slatts returned to meet us at top of Kilmac hill (with his deep rimmed race wheel on) Then the fun and games started as the pace picked up a bit at Carrolls Cross. A few got blown out the back for a little while but we turned back to meet back up with them once we got to B&Q roundabout.
We did approx 60 miles, approx avg speed 18 miles per hour. (sorry, it's the English in me that refuses to change to kilometers)
It was really great to see such a big crowd out, the banter and craic made it easier and more enjoyable so hopefully the good numbers will continue.
Aerohed

Postby Aerohed » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:02 am

Another great spin this Sat. with a great turnout. Jim O'Brien (SPAR), Jim O'Brien, Brian O'Sullivan (Marathon man, "some time", general comments from group 2hrs 45mins), David McConnell, improving no end each week!), Pio & John Wyse, Davin Power, Gavin Quinlan, Marc O'C, Mark Daly, Brian Slattery, Michael Bowes, Tom C, Brian Sweeney & myself.

We headed to Fiddown and over the bridge to Piltown, we then headed up Templorum, to Brian Slatts delight his front derailer was stuck on the large chain ring, POWER Training!!! We then regrouped at the pond, then headed down the hill towards the main Wat'd Carrick road. At the main road Marc O'C, Mark D, Jim O'Brian, Gavin Q headed back to Wat'd, the rest headed to Carrick. In Carrick we crossed the bridge and headed up the hairpin bends and then up the back of Scroughty, did I mention that Brian Slatts was stuck in his large chain ring!!! We then headed down to Portlaw and straight back to Wat'd. I think the shorter spin was approx. 75k and the longer between 85k and 100k depending where individuals started! Apologies to Gavin if the distance is totally wrong, I'm only guessing!!!

Oh Average speed, not too sure, between 17/18 mph!? Nothing to hectic, a lot of power training going on!!! Perfect weather for cycle. Great to see some new and old faces come along!
Aerohed

Postby emmk » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:16 pm

I would like to say the Saturday Spin was anything but Character Building.

My face was numb with the NW wind and rain and thats before I reached the Crystal.
A few hard core WRC and CC waited for each other we half decided on a route with one or two of them. Peter Barry and I didnt want to wait around to long, hit the road ahead of the train Pio broke the ranks and sprinted after us being a little late. The three of us held off the combined train they did not catch us the whole cycle. They may of taken another route or went home after a short spin but the first sounds better.
Portlaw, Church hill, home Cork road and the Crystal. Peter cycled up all he hills in Kilkenny before he got home and a 20min Turbo session just to come to temperature, allowing blood flow return to fingers and the pain to stop. Some days are just turbo days but when your out your out. Make sure you have good gloves and dont take the ones that you have off especially if you cant put them back on after. Thanks for holding my hand P
emmk

Postby Pio » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:36 pm

What's the plan for a cycle this weekend. Will we get out tomorrow?
Pio

Postby Aerohed » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:13 pm

Good gang out this morning for spin. Left Crystal soon after 9.30am. I barely made it on time as I got a puncture a mile up the road and my rear cassette broke within seconds of each other! I took off my left shoe and scooted back home on my sock to change the wheel.

Ger Nolan, Jacinta, Paul McManus, Dave McConnell, Tom Casey, Mark Daly, Mike Bowes, Emmet Kelly, David Grace, Brian Sweeney, Davin Power, Jim Baldwin, Jim O'Brien (Sn.) and myself. (apologies if I've missed anyone)

We cut across Browns rd and over the bridge, heading to Mullinavat on the old Dublin rd. We were clipping along at a good speed, even overtaking a few other groups of cyclists.
We took a right in Mullinavat on to the New Ross rd (nice road). Emmet got a puncture half way up the hill. We didn't get to have a picnic stop to watch him change it as Mike B was pushing it up the front not realising. Emmet told us to carry on and he caught us up in New Ross. He was happy to blow out a few cobwebs on his new TT bike.

A good few climbs to New Ross, everyone worked hard and we re-grouped a few times. We headed back to Waterford then with a slight increase in pace until we hit the infamous long drag of Glenmore hill where the group split and it was every man for himself :)

A few of us townies headed out to Tramore at the end to add on a few miles. We couldn't let the Tramore guys do more than us now...

Covered between 42 miles and 56 miles approx (for those who cycled to/from Tramore). My avg speed was 18.8mph.
We were very lucky with the weather, not much wind and it only started to rain after we got home.

Great to see Ger Nolan keeping in with the group more and more each week. Himself and Jim O'Brien must be doing some secret training...David Grace felt the effects of a week of indulgence up in the big smoke..

If anyone is heading out a different day or time please let us know here on the Forum and put a short report on the spin (to give us something to read with our coffee)
Aerohed

Re: Coffee break

Postby Mac24/7 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:14 pm

Hi all,good to be back doing a bit.Went for a spin from woodlands via kilmeaden,portlaw up over scrouthea left into killmac sign at carrick side said 16km to killmac felt like 26 km up over Newtown back main road ,a bit damp but once your out in it ,ye know yourself,onto ring roads back home ,cleaned bike,locked away cup of tea that's it from me.
Mac24/7

Postby jackdiddly » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:13 pm

Whats everyone's / anyone's cycling plans for the weekend. Sat evening after the duathlon or sunday morning??

Mark D
jackdiddly

Postby Slatts » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:01 am

jackdiddly wrote:Whats everyone's / anyone's cycling plans for the weekend. Sat evening after the duathlon or sunday morning??

Mark D

I'm thinking sunday morning weather and wife permitting
Slatts

Next

Return to Cycle