Swim Lessons in Splashworld

Swim Lessons in Splashworld

Postby Helly » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:07 pm

Hi All,

Please find below info. from our Swim Coach James Hassey re. swim lessons in Splashworld
************************************************************************************************************

Tomorrow is the last pool session for the summer, Friday 21st.

Come this time of year you should have most of your distance work done. All pool sessions should be concentrating on speed work and you should be getting as much open water swimming in as possible as well. I would say 1-2 pool sessions and if possible 2-3 sea swims. So if you are swimming 3 times a week do 1 pool and 2 sea, if swimming 4 times a week either 2 pool,2 sea or 1 pool 3 sea. Make sure you are doing more open water swimming than pool as this is where you will be competing in for the summer.

The sea swim don't have to super long, 30mins just medium pace getting used to spotting, swimming straight and getting used to swimming in choppy,calm conditions etc. Try not to just go swimming when the its sunny,calm and little wind. Get used to wind from different directions, swim different routes to get used to swimming in all directions and plan your swim before you go in so as to have a course to follow to get used to swimming straight and spotting where you are going.

The big difference between open water and pool swimming is going to be continuous swimming in the sea, rather than the stopping at each wall in the pool. This is why you need to get out in the open water to get used to this. The pool sessions are still beneficial in terms of speed work.

Here are some example pool sessions
Warmup (300-400m)
20x50m Frontcrawl on 90 FAST
200m Easy
200-300m Kick with fins
Swimdown 300m

Warmup(300-400m)
For this set pick a time that will give you 15-20secs rest after each 100. So if you would generally take 2 mins to do a 100, do this set of 1.15-1.20. This is a pace set so not max but medium pace but incorporates speed also.
15x100m Frontcrawl on (read above)
Swimdown 300m

Warmup 200m Frontcrawl 100m Kick fins
20x50m as last 10m kick. on 30 secs rest(So swim 40m front crawl and last 10m kick on each 50. Roughly guess the 10m, in splashworld it would be roughly where the ship starts)These need to be fast, good effort
Swimdown 300m

Warmup 300m
40x25m frontcrawl FAST on 15 secs rest
Swimdown 300m

Warmup (300-400m)
1000m swim as 50Fast/50Easy
8x25m FAST front crawl on 15 secs rest
Swimdown 200-300m

Warmup
Simulator Set
25m,50m,75m,100m
100m,75m,50m,25m
Take 15 secs after each section (i.e. 25m - 15 secs rest, 50m 15 secs rest etc)
300m kick fins
Swimdown

Warmup 300m
8x25m Frontcrawl on 10 secs rest
4x50m Frontcrawl on 60/75
2x100m Frontcrawl on 2.30/3mins
200m Easy
2x100m Frontcrawl on 2.30/3mins
4x50m Frontcrawl on 60/75
8x25m Frontcrawl on 10 secs rest
300m Easy Swimdown

Follow these sets in order as above and then repeat when finished. Use your next open water swim after the pool as a recovery swim. Just nice long easy stroke.

On other days not after hard pool session, in the open water you can do 15 secs fast,30-45 easy etc. Or if swimming between 2 points fast over and easy back. Just to keep it interesting.

I will be in dunmore this Monday hopefully, got caught up in work last week. I will go through starts and finishes and how to maxmise this time and how to purpose dive and run through the water efficiently without using too much energy if people are interested in that.

Thanks
James
Helly

Re: Swim Lessons in Splashworld

Postby tombrown » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:06 pm

hi James, my name is Thomas brown, I have joined up with yourselves in the triathlon club.
I was told I could come out to join you on Friday to start swimming lessons, are you ok with this as I just want to be sure that there is still room available in the pool. I can swim ok but one or two lengths and I have to stop to get some air back into me again,
hope to see you sonn
tom
tombrown

Re: Swim Lessons in Splashworld

Postby Slatts » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:04 am

tombrown wrote:hi James, my name is Thomas brown, I have joined up with yourselves in the triathlon club.
I was told I could come out to join you on Friday to start swimming lessons, are you ok with this as I just want to be sure that there is still room available in the pool. I can swim ok but one or two lengths and I have to stop to get some air back into me again,
hope to see you sonn
tom

Hi Tom

James is laid up for a couple of weeks with a broken ankle. Just head on out Friday and we'll look after you!

We're cycling Saturday morning also if you're interested.

give me a call if you want to run through any other training etc - my number is on the contact section of the website

all the best

brian slattery
Slatts

Return to Swim