swiming in dunmore just to try out a wet suit

swiming in dunmore just to try out a wet suit

Postby tombrown » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:39 pm

Hi All,
today i went out to dunmore to try out my wet suit that i had got a loan off for when ever the swim starts in may, i went out with me 14yr old son who had a short wet suit while i had a long wet suit. so i thought i would scared the hell out off everyone and tell you all that the water is "BLOODY FREEZING" :o my feet went numb with the cold till i could no longer feel the cold water, and it took me about 20 minutes to get into the water even with the wet suit on me, my son on the other hand did not get in to far as he was starting to turn blue with the cold and he was out and i was only 5 minutes behind him. i did try to swim with the wet suit but as i found out the ordinary wet suits are no good to swim in as they are to tight and you will burn up a lot more energy just trying to swim in them, i may have to hire out one from tramore.
when is the swim starting out in dunmore does any one know :?: tom
tombrown

Re: swiming in dunmore just to try out a wet suit

Postby Slatts » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:17 am

Hi Tom,

Fair play for even thinking about getting in, I wouldn't even dream of it!

Official swims will start next on the May bank holiday Monday at 5 pm and then continue every Monday at 7pm after that (apart from the bank holidays over the summer when it will revert to 5)

Were you wearing a swimming or surfing wetsuit? The surfing ones will keep you warmer but are very hard to swim in, the swimming ones will make swimming easy (usually much easier than pool swimming due to the extra buoyancy - similar to swimming with a pull bouy in the pool), but they are thin and don't keep you that warm at this time of year.

It's worth getting a good fitting one, as different brands suit different people. Alfies sell them so you could have a chat with the lads in there.
Slatts

Postby Vinny » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:06 pm

Hi Tom,
I have to agree with you on the cold, Jim O Brien and myself were out last Friday morning, after my fifth attempt I managed to get in screaming like a girl wondering what the hell I was thinking of. Jim managed to stay in a good bit longer. I don't think there is a suit designed to keep out that cold. We went out again on the bank holiday Mon and managed to stay in and swim for 18 mins. I think it was easier the second time as we had gone with lads from the Waterford Open Water swimming club (in toggs only :o ) it made me feel warmer anyway :lol:
Vinny
Vinny

Postby Pio » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:24 pm

That sounds about right. Not much fun for the first 2 or 3 (Months) ;) .
Pio

what wet suit to try out

Postby tombrown » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:33 pm

Hi Guys,
just wondering about the wet suit, i am going to hire out one from tramore surf school for next weekend, I was talking to Bernadette butler out there in the shop, i told her my plan and all about the triathlon i was going to do and hopefully into the future. I know Brian has told me about alfies, having swim suit but i have started talking to Bernadette and i am going to hire out first too see how i go in them, she said she will give me a few different types to try out over the next couple off weeks before i go and make up my mind on which one i am going to buy, I have no problem in buying a swim suit, but i am am not going to buy one without trying out some of them first as they can all do what ever you want, but at the end of the day if it does not feel right on you or you cannot swim well in it can you bring it back and get a refund especially after you have use it :?:
Bernadette was very good & helpful in giving me advice on what to look for. i am just trying to find out from some of you more experience members what do you think i should be looking for especially as the water is going to be "bloody freezing" and is goiong to be hard to warm up.
what are some of the different makes of swim suit that you guys have?
do you use the "glide" lubricant when you put on the swim suit,
where would you put it on, what parts of the body is it normally used for?
if you dont mind would some of you let me know over the next few days.

thank you
tom :?
tombrown

Postby Slatts » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:45 am

Hi Tom

To answer your questions:

1. is going to be hard to warm up. - there won't be enough swimming done to really warm up, the first evening is always hard to keep your face down in the water for extended lengths of time. We normally do well to stay in 15-20 minutes. After a few weeks the water warms up and you get a bit more used to it and you will be warmed up in a few minutes

Wearing 2 swim hats will help with the cold

2. do you use the "glide" lubricant when you put on the swim suit, - some do, some don't. Some people chaff around their neck where the suit rubs off of them and apply the stuff there. Its also applied to your ankles and wrists to get the suit off quickly in a race situation.
Slatts

Postby DaveD » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:47 am

http://www.all3sports.com/triathlon-wetsuit-101#101

Well Tom, the link above might answer some of your questions. if you are going to rent one, just make sure its a triathlon wetsuit. Surfer wetsuits are alot thicker, you might as well be swimming in a straight jacket. It would be well worth your while calling into Darryl or Stevie in Alfies and having a chat with them. Ear plugs will help with the cold. Hope this helps!
DaveD

Postby tombrown » Thu May 01, 2014 4:47 pm

thanks Dave & Brian,
for that advice, i will call in to alfies over the weekend and talk to the lads,
see you on Monday in dunmore.

tom
tombrown

Return to Mint Triathlon & New Members